General Academic Policies and Regulations

Student Responsibility

University personnel may assist students in progressing toward the degree that they are seeking. However, the final and ultimate responsibility for understanding and following the degree requirements rests with the students themselves. Each student is held responsible for knowing degree requirements, for enrolling in courses that fit into degree programs, and for taking courses in the proper sequence to ensure orderly progression of work. The student must seek advice about degree requirements and other University policies when necessary. The student is held responsible for knowing and abiding by University regulations regarding the standard of work required to continue in the University, as well as those dealing with academic integrity, scholastic probation, suspension, and dismissal. Additionally, the student is expected to comply with the rules in the Student Handbook and Student Code of Conduct, as well as the processes in the latter, which are administered by the Office of Student Engagement and Success. The Student Handbook and Student Code of Conduct are accessible at

The University reserves the right to require a student to withdraw at any time, as well as the right to impose probation on any student whose conduct is unsatisfactory. An admission on the basis of false statements or documents is void upon discovery of the fraud, and the student is not entitled to any credit for work that the student may have done at the University. Upon dismissal or suspension from the University for cause, there will be no refund of tuition and fees. The balance due the University will be considered receivable and will be collected.

Transfer Credit Policies

General Regulations

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi will consider for credit collegiate level work from regionally accredited institutions. However, work completed while an institution is a candidate for accreditation may also be considered. Course work transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergraduate or graduate degree must represent collegiate course work relevant to that degree, with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in the relevant degree programs at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. College-level work posted on a sending institution’s transcript as the result of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and other credit-by-examination programs will be treated as transfer work. Remedial, high school, or duplicate work will not be transferred to the University. Acceptability of credit for transfer does not imply that it is applicable to the requirements of a particular degree program.

The student must provide official copies of transcripts from each institution attended. The granting institution must submit official transcripts directly to the University. Hand carried documents will not be accepted for evaluation. Upon receipt, the documents become the property of the University and will not be returned to the student as originals.

All transferred work (with accompanying grades or marks) will be translated into Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi terms. If an equivalency for an undergraduate course has not already been established, the Office of Recruitment and Admissions will consult with the department that represents the course content to determine the course equivalency. If the content and level renders an equivalency impossible, the work will be given a generic title and number. Should the Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions determine that a student has taken courses of similar level and content at more than one institution (duplicated work), the highest grade of the course attempted will be the grade of record, and all others will be recorded without credit. Transfer work will become a part of the student’s record only after matriculation and then only when the student has enrolled in a credit bearing course.

The Office of Recruitment and Admissions is responsible for the evaluation of undergraduate transfer credit. Appeals related to the evaluation of undergraduate transfer credit are submitted to The Office of Recruitment and Admissions.

No more than 45 semester hours of undergraduate work may be transferred from military service, credit by examination and vocational technical courses. This limit applies both to work completed prior to and after matriculation.

The holding of an associate’s degree from another institution does not affect the transfer of credit or the transfer policies and practices of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.

Texas Common Course Numbering System

The University participates in the Texas Common Course Numbering System (TCCN), a program developed to facilitate transfer of academic course work between Texas public junior and senior institutions. This system is used as the basis for numbering most lower-division courses on campus. A lower-division course with a common course number equivalent will generally use the common number. The catalog section on Lower-Division Transfer Courses lists Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi courses that are equivalent to courses in the common course numbering system.

Resolution of Transfer Disputes for Lower-Division Courses

Public institutions of higher education in Texas use the following procedures in the resolution of credit transfer disputes involving lower-division courses, as required by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board:

  1. If an institution of higher education does not accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall give written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of the course credit is denied. A receiving institution shall also provide written notice of the reasons for denying credit for a particular course or set of courses at the request of the sending institution.
  2. A student who receives notice as specified above may dispute the denial of credit by contacting a designated official at either the sending or the receiving institution. (The designated officer at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi is the Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions.)
  3. The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with Board rules and guidelines.
  4. If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days after the date the student received written notice of denial, the institution that denies the course credit for transfer shall notify the Commissioner of its denial and the reasons for the denial.

The Commissioner of Higher Education or the Commissioner’s designee shall make the final determination about a dispute concerning the transfer of course credit and give written notice of the determination to the involved student and institutions.

The Board shall collect data on the types of transfer disputes that are reported and the disposition of each case that is considered by the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee.

If a receiving institution has cause to believe that a course being presented by a student for transfer from another school is not of an acceptable level of quality, it should first contact the sending institution and attempt to resolve the problem. In the event that the two institutions are unable to come to a satisfactory resolution, the receiving institution may notify the Commissioner of Higher Education, who may investigate the course. If its quality is found to be unacceptable, the Board may discontinue funding for the course.

Military Transfer Credit

Persons who have been granted honorable or general discharge from military service of the United States and who would like a review of service records for potential college credit must request the appropriate documentation. Depending on the type of military service, students must request one of the following transcripts sent directly to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.

  1. JST (Joint Services Transcript): Army, Coast Guard, Navy -
  2. CCAF Transcript (Community College of the Air Force)

The American Council on Education guidelines will be used in the evaluation. Credit will be awarded only in areas offered within the current curriculum of the institution, and only when the course work is appropriately related to the student’s educational programs. The evaluation of military credit is utilized in awarding college credit only and is not considered in determining admission eligibility.

Foreign Institutions Transfer Credit

Students who wish to transfer work from foreign institutions must present transcript copies rendered into standard English and certified as true copies by a translator approved by the Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions. Originals must also be provided. In cases where it is impossible, practically, to obtain official transcripts, alternatives to translated transcripts may be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The University requires students transferring work from foreign institutions to provide an evaluation from a professional source. A list of acceptable companies is available from the Office of Recruitment and Admissions. The student is responsible for costs associated with this service.

Credit by Examination

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi recognizes the validity of accepting credit for specified levels of achievement on institutionally approved, standardized examinations. Examples include College Level Exam Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP), DSST Program, American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) test and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams. Such work will be treated as transfer credit. The minimum scores acceptable for the different examinations are stated below. The testing agency must provide examination results (scores) directly to Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.

A grade of CR (credit) will be assigned where applicable. This grade will not be computed in the student’s grade point average, will not carry grade points, and cannot be translated into grades A, B, C, or D. The grade of CR will not replace any existing course grade earned at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. Credit earned by examination does not count toward the number of semester credit hours required for graduation with honors. For information regarding applicability of these tests to specific degree programs, students should contact an academic advisor.

CLEP Examinations

The table below shows CLEP exams that may be accepted for lower-division credit (unless otherwise specified), the minimum scores required, the equivalent Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi courses, and the number of semester credit hours that may be awarded for these exams.

CLEP has a policy that an exam of the same title may not be retaken in a three-month period. CLEP will not release scores for an examination of the same title taken within the 3-month period after the initial administration. If a candidate retakes the examination within the 3-month period, the administration will be considered invalid, the score will be canceled and fees will be forfeited.  Candidates who are military service members and whose exams are funded by the Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) may not repeat an examination of the same title; however, they may personally fund a retest after waiting the required period of time.

CLEP Exam Minimum Score Required A&M-Corpus Christi Course(s) Credit Hours Awarded
Composition and Literature:
American Literature 50 ENGL 2333 3
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 50 Satisfies the sophomore literature requirement 3
College Composition N/A N/A N/A
English Literature 50 Satisfies the sophomore literature requirement 6
College Composition with Modular 50 ENGL 1301 3
Humanities 50 Elective 3
Foreign Languages:
French 50 FREN 1311 & FREN 1312 6
63 FREN 1311, FREN 1312 & FREN 2311 9
69 FREN 1311, FREN 1312, FREN 2311 & FREN 2312 12
German 50 GERM 1311 & GERM 1312 6
63 GERM 1311, GERM 1312 & GERM 2311 9
69 GERM 1311, GERM 1312, GERM 2311 & GERM 2312 12
Spanish Language 1 50 SPAN 1311 & SPAN 1312 6
63 SPAN 1311, SPAN 1312 & SPAN 2311 9
69 SPAN 1311, SPAN 1312, SPAN 2311 & SPAN 2312 12
History & Social Sciences:
American Government 50 POLS 2305 3
Human Growth & Development 50 PSYC 2314 3
Intro to Educational Psychology N/A N/A 0
Principles of Macroeconomics 50 ECON 2301 3
Principles of Microeconomics 50 ECON 2302 3
Introductory Psychology 50 PSYC 2301 3
Introductory Sociology 50 SOCI 1301 3
Social Sciences and History 50 Elective 3
U.S. History I: Early Colonizations to 1877 50 HIST 1301 3
U.S. History II: 1865 to the Present 50 HIST 1302 3
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 50 HIST 2311 3
Western Civilization II: 1648 to Present 50 HIST 2312 3
Science and Mathematics:
Calculus 50 MATH 2413 4
College Algebra 50 MATH 1314 3
College Mathematics 50 MATH 1332 3
Biology 50 Elective 3
Chemistry 50 Elective 6
Natural Sciences 50 Elective 3
Precalculus 50 MATH 2312 3
Information Systems 50 Elective 3
Introductory Business Law 50 BLAW 3310 3
Financial Accounting 50 ACCT 2301 3
Principles of Management 502 Elective Credit 3
Principles of Marketing 50 MKTG 3310 3

This table is subject to change. For the latest information on CLEP exams, including information on additional CLEP exams for which credit may be accepted, contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.


The Spanish CLEP exam can be used for credit towards a major or minor in Spanish, but Spanish faculty must approve it first. For more information, see the Academic Advisor for the Spanish Program.


Refer to the Graduate Program Director in the College of Business for restrictions on credit for graduate programs.

Advanced Placement Examinations

The list below indicates which Advanced Placement (AP) exams will be accepted as equivalent to Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi courses, the minimum score required, and the number of semester credit hours that may be awarded for these exams.

AP Exam Minimum Score Required A&M-Corpus Christi Course(s) Credit Hours Awarded
Art History 3 ARTS 1303 3
Biology 3 BIOL 1406 4
Biology 4 BIOL 1406 & BIOL 1407 8
Calculus AB 3 MATH 2413 4
Calculus BC 3 MATH 2413 4
AB subsection of BC Exam 3 MATH 2413 4
Calculus BC 4 MATH 2413 & MATH 2414 8
Chemistry 3 CHEM 1411 4
Chemistry 4 CHEM 1411, CHEM 1412 8
Comparative Govt. & Politics N/A N/A 0
Computer Science A 3 COSC 1315 3
Computer Science A 4 COSC 1435 4
Computer Science Principles N/A N/A 0
English, Language and Composition 3 ENGL 1301 3
English, Literature and Composition 3 ENGL 1301 3
Environmental Science 3 ESCI 1401 4
European History 3 HIST 2311 3
French Language and Culture 3 FREN 1311 & FREN 1312 6
French Language and Culture 5 FREN 1311, FREN 1312 & FREN 2311 9
German Language and Culture 3 GERM 1311, GERM 1312 6
German Language and Culture 5 GERM 1311, GERM 1312 & GERM 2311 9
Human Geography 3 Elective Credit 3
Latin 3 Elective Credit 3
Macroeconomics 3 ECON 2301 3
Microeconomics 3 ECON 2302 3
Music Theory 3 MUSI 1311 & MUSI 1116 4
Physics 1: Algebra Based 3 PHYS 1401 4
Physics 2: Algebra Based 3 PHYS 1402 4
Physics C (Mechanics) 3 PHYS 2425 4
Physics C (Electricity & Magnetism) 3 PHYS 2426 4
Precalculus 3 MATH 2312 3
Psychology 3 PSYC 2301 3
Spanish Language and Culture 3 SPAN 1311, SPAN 1312 6
Spanish Language and Culture 5 SPAN 1311, SPAN 1312 & SPAN 2311 9
Spanish Literature and Culture 3 SPAN 2311 3
Spanish Literature and Culture 5 SPAN 2311, SPAN 2312 6
Statistics 3 MATH 1442 4
Studio Art: Drawing 3 ARTS 1316 3
Studio Art: 2-D Design 3 ARTS 1311 3
Studio Art: 3-D Design 3 ARTS 1312 3
U.S. Govt. & Politics 3 POLS 2305 3
U.S. History 3 HIST 1301 & HIST 1302 6
World History 3 HIST 2311 3

International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBD)

The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IBD) is an international program of courses and exams offered at the high school level. In keeping with Senate Bill 111 passed in 2005, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi will grant credit (CR) for International Baccalaureate (IB) exams with certain required scores beginning fall of 2006 to incoming freshmen students.

Texas institutions of higher education must award at least 24 semester credit hours in appropriate subject areas on all IB exams with scores of 4 or above, as long as the incoming freshman has earned an IBD. However, course credit does not have to be awarded on any IB exam where the score is a 3 or less. This may mean that students will not receive 24 hours of college credit, even if they have an IBD.

Students submitting an IB transcript for credit evaluation should consider the total number of qualifying credits to be awarded. Federal Financial Aid regulations limit the total number of hours for which a student may receive financial aid based on the total number of hours for the degree. Care should be taken to ensure the credits awarded through the IB transcript evaluation may be applied directly to the student’s program of choice to avoid adverse impact on the student’s future financial aid eligibility.

Students must submit an official IB transcript to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions. Students may contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions for more information.

DSST Examinations

The table below shows DSST exams that are accepted for lower-division credit (unless otherwise specified), the minimum scores required, the equivalent Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi courses, and the number of semester credit hours that may be awarded for these exams.

DSST Exam Minimum Score Required A&M-Corpus Christi Course(s) Credit Hours Awarded
Astronomy 48/400 PHYS 1304 3
Computing and Information Technology 45/400 COSC 1315 3
Lifespan Developmental Psychology 46/400 PSYC 2314 3
Principles of Statistics 48/400 MATH 1442 4

ACTFL Examinations

Students may receive course credit for their oral proficiency levels in a foreign language through the American Council on Education (ACE) Credit Recommendation Service and Language Testing International (LTI), the assessment agency for the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Students who have taken an ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI/OPIc) or Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) through LTI, received a proficiency rating by LTI, and received credit recommendation by ACE will receive the following lower-division (LD) course credits in a foreign language at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi:

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi - Credit Recommendations for Official ACTFL Ratings

Official OPI, OPIc, WPT Rating1 # of Credits
Novice High/Intermediate Low 3 LD
Intermediate Mid/Intermediate High 6 LD
Advanced Low/Advanced Mid 9 LD
Advanced High/Superior 12 LD



The 10 ACTFL OPI language proficiency ratings are: Superior, Advanced High, Advanced Mid, Advanced Low, Intermediate High, Intermediate Mid, Intermediate Low, Novice High, Novice Mid, and Novice Low. For candidates completing French, German, or Spanish, credit can be earned in the respective courses of 1311, 1312, 2311, or 2312 based on the approved rating.  For candidates completing Chinese, credit can be earned for CHIN 1311 Chinese I (3 sch), CHIN 1312 Chinese II (3 sch), and 6 hours of additional general credit based on the approved rating.  Candidates taking any of the other foreign languages not taught at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi will receive the respective amount of general credit.

For a complete listing of languages and a description of levels of speaking proficiency, please refer to the ACTFL website ( To begin the process, students must submit an application to LTI (

Other Examinations

Credit may be accepted for other nationally recognized standardized exams. Credit for such exams will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Additional Information on Credit by Examination

For further information on testing, contact the Office of Academic Testing at 361-825-2334.

For more information on the awarding of credit, contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions at 361-825-7024.

Other Non-Collegiate Experiences

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi recognizes the quality and importance of some non-collegiate training programs offered through industrial sources. In collaboration with university faculty, offerings detailed in the appropriate ACE publication will be reviewed for potential credit award. CEU and similar professional credits cannot be translated into academic credit hours.


For purposes of transfer, work taken on a trimester system will be converted to semester hours on a 1-to-1 basis. In the event that the work was taken on a class hour basis, 15 class hours will be equated to 1 semester hour. For conversion from quarter hours to semester hours, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi has established the following equivalencies:

Quarter hours Semester hours
1 0.7
2 1.3
3 2.0
4 2.7
5 3.3
6 4.0

The University uses the summation of the individual course equivalencies from a particular institution to compute grade point average and/or credits earned. For credit systems other than those listed above, the University Registrar will determine the mathematical relationship and apply it to the record in question.

Non-Credit Admission (Auditing)

A student may attend classes for a course without receiving credit if the student submits a Course Audit Form at the time of registration and has the permission of both the instructor of the course and the dean of the college in which the course is offered. No formal admission to the University is required for course audits. The Course Audit Form is available from the Office of the University Registrar. The fee for auditing a course is the same as that required for registration for credit, however no credit will be awarded, no records will be kept, and the student may be restricted from lab work and tests. A student will not be given permission to audit a course until the first day of classes. Students may not change from credit to audit status after the 12th class day during a long semester or after the 4th class day during the summer. Senior citizens (65 or over) may audit with all fees exempted except material or field trip fees on a space available basis only. If the student is under the age of 22, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi will require the students to provide certified proof from a health practitioner that the student has received a Bacterial Meningitis vaccination or booster within the last five years. Under no circumstance may audit be converted to credit. No refunds are given on audits.


New students must apply for admission through the Office of Recruitment and Admissions prior to the term of enrollment. Former students may need to reapply for admission or reactivate their records in the Office of Recruitment and Admissions prior to the term of enrollment. As a general rule, students who have previously attended classes at the University, but who have not been enrolled for two consecutive long semesters, need to reapply for admission. Information regarding dates, registration, and course offerings are available through the Office of the Registrar. Unless exempted from the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), students must be assessed in reading, writing, and math skills prior to registration. Additional information on the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is available in the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) section of this catalog. Students must register by the specified deadlines for the term in order to be eligible to receive course credit. Registration requires the payment of tuition and fees. More information on tuition, fees, and payment options is available under the Tuition, Fees, and Financial Assistance section of this catalog.

Unit of Credit

A semester hour is the amount of credit for one class hour per week for one semester. Each class hour generally requires two hours of preparation on the part of the student, though the actual time required may vary from one to three. Three hours of laboratory work are equivalent to one class hour. Most courses are for three semester hours of credit. Some have variable credit from one to three hours, others four to six hours.

Classification of Degree-Seeking Students

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi enrolls degree-seeking students in both undergraduate and graduate programs. An undergraduate student is one who has not yet received a baccalaureate degree. Graduate student is a student who has earned a baccalaureate degree and is enrolled in graduate coursework.

A degree-seeking undergraduate is classified as a freshman (or first-year student), sophomore, junior, or senior according to the number of semester credit hours earned, as follows:

Classification Semester Credit Hours Earned
Freshman (or First-Year Student) fewer than 30
Sophomore at least 30, but fewer than 60
Junior at least 60, but fewer than 90
Senior 90 or more

Enrollment Status for Financial Assistance

Enrollment status affects a student’s eligibility for financial assistance. Students who are enrolled at least half time may be eligible for financial aid. Rules applying to veterans’ benefits are available under Veterans Educational Benefits.

Enrollment Status Semester Credit Hours Required
Full-time undergraduate student: Fall or spring term = 12 hours
Combined summer terms = 8 hours
Three-quarter-time undergraduate student: Fall or spring term = 9 hours
Combined summer terms = 6 hours
Half-time undergraduate student: Fall or spring term = 6 hours
Combined summer terms = 4 hours

Non-degree students are not classified as part-time or full-time students, nor are they classified as freshmen (first-year), sophomores, juniors, or seniors.

Courses of Instruction

All undergraduate courses offered at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi are listed in the Courses A-Z section of this catalog. Although the lists of courses are based on the best information available at the time of catalog preparation, course offerings are subject to change without notice. This catalog was prepared well in advance of its effective date; therefore, changes may occur in course content or availability. Some new courses and modified courses are included in this catalog pending their approval by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

When registering for courses, students should consult the semester class schedule, a separate online publication that provides specific course offering information for a particular semester or session. The class schedule is made available online before the registration period for each term.

Adding or Dropping a Course

Adding or Dropping a Course: A student may add or drop a course during the time specified in the class schedule. To add or drop a course after the first class day, the student must complete a Class Scheduling Form from the Office of the University Registrar.

Deadline for Dropping a Course with a Grade of W: The grade of W will be assigned to any student officially dropping a course by the date stated in the class schedule. No student is eligible to receive a W without completing the official drop process by this deadline. After the drop date listed in the class schedule, a student will not be allowed to drop a course. A change of section or a change from credit to audit is a change of registration and requires that the add/drop process be followed.

Implications for Financial Assistance: Dropping courses may affect student eligibility for financial assistance.

Six-Course Drop Limit: The State of Texas enacted a statute that applies to students who enroll in public institutions of higher education as first-time freshmen in fall 2007 or later. Under section 51.907 of the Texas Education Code, “an institution of higher education may not permit a student to drop more than six courses, including any course a transfer student has dropped at another institution of higher education.” Any course a student drops after the census date published in the class schedule or academic calendar is counted toward the six-course limit unless specifically identified as being exempt. Should you attempt to drop a seventh class, your request will be denied by the University Registrar and the drop not processed due to exceeding the six-drop limit. As a result, you will have to accept a grade in all courses in which you are enrolled and should plan your schedule accordingly.

Withdrawal: If a student should drop all courses for a given semester or term, a Withdrawal Form must be processed. Refer to the following paragraph.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who finds it necessary to withdraw from the University during a semester must file a Withdrawal Form with the Office of the University Registrar. The deadline for withdrawing from the University is the day before the last day of classes during a long semester (fall or spring), and two days before final examinations during a summer session. Failure to file a Withdrawal Form can result in grades of “F” for all courses in progress.

A student who withdraws from the University according to procedures stipulated for a withdrawal, will be allowed a grace period to rescind the withdrawal. A student may rescind a withdrawal no later than the end of the second University business day following the date of withdrawal or the last class day, whichever is sooner. The date of reinstatement must be among the regular days of classes; days of final examinations and thereafter are specifically excluded.

Should space no longer be available in a class, the student must secure the approval of the dean and instructor before reinstatement in class is allowed.

All indebtedness to the University must be satisfied prior to the reinstatement.

Reinstatement must be requested in writing by the student to the University Registrar. All documentation and requirements for the reinstatement must be filed with the University Registrar by the end of the second business day (following the withdrawal), or else the reinstatement will not occur.

Students receiving veterans benefits for education should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs for specific policies concerning drops and withdrawals. These changes have a direct effect on VA benefits.

Withdrawal of Students Called to Active Duty

Section 54.006 of the Texas Education Code states:

Beginning with the summer semester of 1990, if a student withdraws from an institution of higher education because the student is called to active military service, the institution, at the student’s option, shall:

  1. refund the tuition and fees paid by the student for the semester in which the student withdraws;
  2. grant a student who is eligible under the institution’s guidelines, an incomplete grade in all courses by designating “withdrawn-military” on the student’s transcript; or
  3. as determined by the instructor, assign an appropriate final grade or credit to a student who has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework and who has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

Retroactive Withdrawal

A student may request that all grades in an academic period be retroactively removed and replaced by entries of “W” on his or her transcript. A retroactive withdrawal may be granted only when a student has experienced circumstances of such serious and compelling nature that the student could not reasonably have been expected to satisfactorily complete the academic period or submit a petition for regular withdrawal by the deadline specified in the Academic Calendar. Such serious and compelling circumstances may include (but are not limited to) hospitalization, incarceration, debilitating mental illness, or sudden absence at the end of the semester due to family crisis. Failure to academically perform due to factors such as bad habits, poor judgment, time management issues, failed relationships, roommate conflicts, or ignorance of University policies would not generally qualify a student for retroactive withdrawal.

To withdraw retroactively from the University, the student must request this action in writing through the Office of the University Registrar via an online appeal form that will be reviewed by the Associate Registrar. The appeal must be accompanied by supporting documents which demonstrate serious and compelling reasons why action was not taken through the regular withdrawal process during the academic period in question. The time limit for submitting this appeal is the end of the next long semester following the academic period in question; requests that extend past this period will be denied.

If the retroactive administrative withdrawal is granted, the Office of the University Registrar will set all grades for the relevant term to a non-punitive mark of “W.” If the student should wish to appeal a decision on retroactive withdrawal, an appeal can be made, in writing, to the University Registrar within 14 days of the date of notification. The decision of the University Registrar is final.

Class Attendance

Students are held responsible for class attendance. Excessive absences may adversely affect course grades. Every instructor is required to make clear the policy on class attendance at the beginning of each course.

If students are absent from class on approved university business (e.g., intercollegiate athletics competition/travel, field trips, student research conferences, Board of Regents meetings), faculty members should count this as an excused absence and should not penalize the student for it. Students should be allowed to make up any required course work in advance or within two weeks after their return to campus. Students are responsible for informing their instructors about the trip in advance so that the faculty members can make plans accordingly. Students need to make prior arrangements to make up labs. If students have any doubt as to whether the activity in question is considered official university business, they should contact the Office of the Provost.

Student Absences on Religious Holy Days

In accordance with Texas Education Code 51.911, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi will excuse a student from attending classes or other required activities, including examinations, for the observance of a religious holy day, including travel for that purpose. A student whose absence is excused for observance of a religious holy day may not be penalized for that absence and must be allowed to take an exam or complete an assignment from which the student is excused within a reasonable time after the absence.

Texas Education Code, Section 51.911 defines a religious holy day as a holy day observed by a religion whose places of worship are exempt from property taxation under Section 11.20, Tax Code. If a student and an instructor disagree that the absence is for the observance of a religious holy day, or if there is similar disagreement about whether the student has been given a reasonable time to complete any missed assignments or examinations, either the student or the instructor may request a ruling from the Provost. The student and instructor shall abide by the decision of the Provost.

If a student’s academic course work includes patient care, the University may exclude from these policies and procedures any student absence for religious holy days that may interfere with patient care.


Grades for undergraduate courses shall be reported by the symbols below, with grade points as noted:

Grade Interpretation Grade Points per Semester Hour1
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Average 2
D Passing 1
F Failure; work not passed 0

[Note: Graduate students should consult the graduate catalog.]

Grade Descriptions
CR1 Satisfactory, but without qualitative grading. See “Alternate Grading Systems” section below.
NC1 No credit.
P1 Pass. Satisfactory, but without qualitative grading of the credit hours earned. Applicable only to those courses stipulated by the PASS/NO PASS policy. Not used in graduate courses.
NP1 No pass. No credit is generated and the mark is not punitive. Applicable only to those courses stipulated by the PASS/NO PASS policy. Not used in graduate courses. Students are advised to use caution before electing the P/NP option and are encouraged to read the policy pertaining to it.
S1 Satisfactory. Applicable to specified graduate courses.
U1 Unsatisfactory. Applicable to specified graduate courses.
UP1 Unsatisfactory. Applicable to specified graduate courses.
I1 Incomplete. An incomplete notation may be given to a student who is passing but has not completed a term paper, examination, or other required work for reasons beyond the student’s control other than lack of time.
IM1 Incomplete-Military. An “IM” notation may be given to a student who is called to active military service and who consequently cannot continue attending class. In order for this notation to be given, the student must be passing the course, must have completed a significant portion of the course work, and must have the approval of the instructor.
IP1 Assigned to a remedial course or a thesis/dissertation course indicating that at the conclusion of the semester the course was still in progress. This is a permanent notation that does not affect grade point average. To receive a qualitative grade, the student must register for the same course in the subsequent semester, paying the appropriate tuition and fees.
W1 Course dropped or withdrawal from the University. Automatically given, regardless of the student’s standing in class, when a student officially withdraws from the University or drops a course prior to the deadline as indicated in the class schedule. See “Adding or Dropping a Course” and “Withdrawal from the University” in this catalog.
WP1 Withdrawal pass. Before the fall semester of 1996, this grade was assigned to a student who dropped a course or withdrew between designated dates in the semester or summer term and was passing the course at the time of the withdrawal. Grades of WP assigned before fall 1996 will remain on the transcript.
WF1 Withdrawal failure. Before fall 1996, this grade was assigned to a student who dropped a course or withdrew between designated dates in the semester or summer term and was failing the course at the time of withdrawal. Grades of WF assigned before fall 1996 will remain on the transcript.

CR, NC, P, NP, S, U, UP, I, IM, IP, W, and WP grades are not counted in computing the GPA. A grade of WF assigned before the fall semester of 1996 is counted in computing the GPA.

The presence of a “D” preceding a qualitative grade of A-F references a developmental course and does not count toward hours earned nor grade points in computing GPA.

For a grade of W to be assigned, a student must officially withdraw from the course or University through the Office of the University Registrar. The receipt from the Office of the University Registrar should be kept as proof of withdrawal. If a student discontinues attending a class and fails to officially withdraw, and does not qualify for an “I,” a qualitative grade (A-F) will be assigned.

If no grade is submitted by an instructor, a temporary notation (XX) will be placed on the student’s records. In such cases, the course grade must be submitted within 30 days from the beginning of the next semester. If the instructor is not able to submit the grade within the 30 days, the dean in consultation with faculty will submit the course grade.

Calculation of Grade Point Average

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi uses a 4.0 scale for calculation of Grade Point Average (GPA). GPA is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of semester credit hours taken for a qualitative grade (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0). The result of this division is expressed as a number carried to the fourth decimal place and rounded up to the third.

For Purposes of Undergraduate Transfer Admission

See “Transfer Admission” in the “Admissions” section.

For Purposes of Graduation with Honors

See “Graduation with Honors” in the “Undergraduate Programs” section.

For Purposes of Graduation and Academic Rank

Only grades earned at this University will be used to calculate the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi grade point average as used in determination of academic rank and eligibility for graduation.

Grades are made available to students at the end of each grading period at

Change of Grade

A change of grade (among the values A, B, C, D, F) may occur only if there has been an error in computation or recording of the grade or if a change has been ordered as a result of the grade appeal process. A grade may not be changed because of consideration of work completed following the end of the grading period for which the grade was issued. If not associated with the grade appeal process, a grade change is initiated by the instructor of record and approved by the dean of the college of record. In rare circumstances, the approval of the Provost may be required. To be valid, a grade change must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar on or before the last day of the next regular semester following the term in which the grade was originally issued, and on the form provided for that purpose.

Grade Appeal Process

As stated in University Procedure 13.02.99.C0.03, Student Grade Appeals, a student who believes that he/she/they have not been held to appropriate academic standards as outlined in the class syllabus, equitable evaluation procedures, or appropriate grading, may appeal the final grade given in the course. The burden of proof is upon the student to demonstrate the appropriateness of the appeal.

A student with a complaint about a grade is encouraged to first discuss the matter with the instructor. If the problem cannot be resolved at this level, the student may take the steps below:

  1. Written appeal to department chair or area coordinator. (This step must be taken within 20 business days after the start of the next term.)
  2. If no satisfactory resolution can be found, the Department Chair will refer the matter, normally within 5 business days, to the Associate Dean for a hearing by the College Grade Appeal Committee (CGAC).
  3. The Associate Dean will schedule a hearing before the College Grade Appeal Committee normally within 20 business days.
  4. The Committee shall hear all parties to the case and review all evidence presented. Both the faculty member and student shall be present at the same time during the formal hearing.
  5. The College Grade Appeal Committee will determine the facts of the case and attempt to develop a fair and appropriate resolution to the complaint.
  6. The Chair of the CGAC will present its findings and recommendations, in writing, to the Associate Dean normally within 5 business days after completion of its hearings and deliberations.
  7. The Associate Dean will send written notification of the decision to the student and the faculty member involved normally within 5 business days after receiving the CGAC’s findings and recommendations.
  8. The decision of the Associate Dean is final.

For complete details, including the responsibilities of the parties involved in the process and the number of days allowed for completing the steps in the process, see University Procedure 13.02.99.C0.03, Student Grade Appeals. 

For assistance and/or guidance in the grade appeal process, students may contact the Office of the Provost.

Removing the Grade of Incomplete

The notation of “I” indicates that work in a course is satisfactory but incomplete (certain work is postponed by the student for substantial reason with the prior consent of the instructor). This work must be completed by the last class day of the next regular (fall or spring) semester unless the instructor designates an earlier date for completion. If the work is not completed by the appropriate date, the qualitative grade provided by the instructor on the incomplete notation application will be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar and will replace the “I.” An incomplete notation cannot remain on the student’s permanent record and must be replaced by a qualitative grade (A-F) at the conclusion of the next regular semester. If the grade of “I” has not been changed at the conclusion of the next regular semester and no qualitative grade was provided on the incomplete notion application, it will be changed to a final grade of “F” by the Office of the University Registrar.

Removing Grade of Incomplete-Military (IM)

The “IM” notation may be given to a student who is called to active military service and who consequently can no longer attend class. Such a notation may be assigned if the student is passing a course but will not be able to complete a term paper, examination, or other required work for the course before the end of the semester or session because of required active military service. Assignment of the “IM” notation requires the approval of the instructor. Normally the “IM” grade is not assigned unless the student has completed a substantial amount of course work. The remaining course work must be completed by the last day of the next regular semester (fall or spring) following the student’s return from active military service. The “IM” designation will remain on the student’s permanent record if the work is not completed by the appropriate date. For more information on options available to students who are called to active military service, see “Students Called to Active Duty.”

Pass/No Pass Policy

Each upper-division student may take up to two academic courses (eight semester hours maximum) graded on a pass/no pass basis during a particular degree program. These courses (if passed) will count as part of the total needed to graduate but will not enter into calculation of grade point average. Designated general education requirements and specific courses required by the major/minor, including required foundation courses outside the discipline of the student’s major, as approved by the college of the student’s major, cannot be taken pass/no pass, unless so stated in the catalog. A course that has been recorded as P cannot be used as a component of general education requirements or of the major/minor field of study. Students will indicate to the Office of the University Registrar their intention to take a course on a pass/no pass basis before the 12th class day of a fall or spring semester or the 4th class day of a summer session or term, as shown in the class schedule. Once such a declaration is made, it cannot be changed on any account including a change of major or degree designation. The faculty member will not be informed that a student is taking the course on a pass/no pass basis. Pass/no pass grades are not used in graduate courses.

Alternate Grading Systems

Certain courses proposed by individual colleges and approved by the Faculty Senate may use the alternate grading system CR/NC when the standard system authorized for the University (A, B, C, D, F, I, IP, W) is not considered appropriate. CR/NC is a designation of the University given to certain courses, all of whose students receive one of these grades; P/NP is an option that a student may designate in any course, subject to the restrictions above.

A student may apply no more than ten credit hours eared at this university outside the standard grading system (e.g., grades of CR/NC or P/NP) toward a baccalaureate degree. No more than seven semester hours of CR/NC may be in a student’s major field of study. The hours graded P (pass) or CR (credit), given in those instances where standard letter grades are not used, will not be applied in computing grade point averages nor influence student eligibility for academic honors.

Final Examinations

Final examinations must be scheduled during the regularly scheduled examination time listed in the official class schedule. If papers or take-home examinations are assigned in lieu of a final examination, the due date must be at the regularly scheduled examination time listed in the official class schedule. If final presentations or final critiques assigned in lieu of final examinations require multiple days to complete, then the final day for the critiques/presentations must occur on the regularly scheduled exam day.

Students are not required to take more than two final examinations in any one day. Any student with three or more final examinations scheduled on the same day may request to take one of the examinations on another day during the final examination period. The process is described below.

  1. The student should first try to resolve the matter with the appropriate instructor(s).
  2. If the matter remains unresolved, the student should submit a request for an alternative final exam time in writing to the Office of Academic Affairs. This request must be submitted by the drop date (the last day to drop a course for the semester with an automatic grade of W as stated in the semester class schedule).
  3. The Office of Academic Affairs will select which of the exams should be taken at an alternative time and formally contact the faculty member at least 15 working days before the final examination period. Preference for selection of which course would have an alternative final exam time must be based on the course with the smaller class size and, then, courses with final exam times in between other exams.
  4. The Office of Academic Affairs will select which of the exams should be taken at an alternative time and formally contact the faculty member at least 15 working days before the final examination period. Preference for selection of which course would have an alternative final exam time must be based on the course with the smaller class size and, then, courses with final exam times in between other exams.

For additional information regarding this process students should refer to University Procedure 13.99.99.C0.01: Course Examinations and Study Week.

Graduation Under a Particular Catalog

A student may receive the baccalaureate degree upon satisfying the requirements of the catalog under which credit was first earned in this University or upon satisfying the requirements of the catalog of any subsequent year in which credit was earned as a student in the University. This provision is subject to the restriction that all requirements must be completed within six years of the date of the catalog chosen and that the University still offers programs and required curriculum described in the earlier catalog. A student who transfers from a public community college in Texas may choose to graduate under the University catalog in effect at the time the student first earned credit at the community college or a later catalog in effect when the student earned credit at either the community college or the University. This provision is subject to the six-year restriction stated earlier.

Certification or licensure requirements are subject to change. Students enrolled in programs leading to certification or licensure must meet all current requirements, regardless of the catalog chosen.

Application for Graduation

Students who plan to participate in a graduation exercise and/or receive a diploma and degree conferral must submit an online application for graduation by the deadline indicated in the Academic Calendar and pay the associated fee. Students are strongly advised to consult their academic advisor prior to submitting an application for graduation. The application for graduation and associated fees is not transferable to a subsequent semester. If a student does not graduate, the application will be canceled and a new application and fee must be submitted. Students participating in the graduation exercise will also be required to obtain an appropriate cap and gown.

Academic Integrity

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi students are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the highest standards of academic honesty.  Academic misconduct for which a student is subject to penalty includes all forms of cheating, which include but are not limited to illicit possession of examinations or examination materials, falsification, forgery, plagiarism or collusion in any of these behaviors. 

Responsibility of the Student: It is the responsibility of the student to become educated regarding University Rules, Regulations and Policies regarding academic misconduct. This includes, but is not limited to, seeking clarification from each instructor regarding acceptable behaviors and guidelines for completing individual assignments. A failure to become educated with the University Rules, Regulations and Policies or the instructors individuals guidelines will not excuse the student from accountability for violations of such policies.

Responsibility of the Instructor: 

The instructor should maintain a policy regarding academic misconduct within the course syllabus and provide clear expectations regarding behaviors that will and will not be permitted regarding the completion of in-class and out-of-class assignments. The instructor shall address all matters of suspected academic misconduct with the student in question and may choose to document and refer the matter to the Student Conduct & Community Standards. The burden of proof shall lie with the instructor when presenting cases of academic misconduct to the Student Conduct & Community Standards.

Disciplinary action for academic misconduct is first the responsibility of the faculty member assigned to the course.  The faculty member is charged with assessing the gravity of any case and with recommending sanctions for any student involved.

Sanctions that may be recommended by the faculty member for individual cases of academic misconduct include one or more of the following:

  • Written reprimand (an official letter of reprimand will be issued by the Student Conduct & Community Standards);
  • Requirement to re-do work in question;
  • Requirement to submit additional work;
  • Lowering of grade on work in question;
  • Assigning grade of ‘F’ to work in question;
  • Assigning grade of ‘F’ for course;
  • Recommendation for more severe punishment, such as suspension, dismissal from program, or expulsion from the University.

If the faculty member recommends a more severe sanction, such as dismissal from program or expulsion from the program or from the University, the matter will automatically be reviewed by Student Conduct & Community Standards and may be referred to an Academic Integrity Hearing Panel. Additionally, if the student has a history of academic misconduct, the matter will be reviewed by the Academic Integrity Hearing Panel.

The faculty member must file a report for each case of academic misconduct, including a description of the incident, the disciplinary action taken, the assignment, the instructions for the assignment, and evidence indicating misconduct, and a current syllabus for the course to the Student Conduct & Community Standards. The faculty member should also provide a copy to the chair of their department. The Student Conduct & Community Standards will maintain records of such cases for a period of five years after the student’s last enrollment date.

For additional information regarding this process students should refer to University Rules and Procedures 13.02.99.C0.04: Student Academic Misconduct Cases.

Academic Records

Permanent academic records are maintained in the Office of the University Registrar. When a transcript or other document has been submitted to Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, it becomes the property of the University and will not be returned to the student as an original.

Academic files and degree plans are maintained in the offices of the college deans. The college deans are responsible for certifying that students receiving undergraduate degrees have satisfied all college degree requirements. The Office of the University Registrar is responsible for certifying that University minimum requirements have been satisfactorily completed.

Challenge to an Academic Record

A student who wishes to challenge the accuracy of the academic record established at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and held in his or her behalf, must notify the Office of the University Registrar in writing and explain in detail the nature of the error. The Office of the University Registrar will study the challenge and the contents of the student’s file, and consult with the appropriate academic personnel. The Office of the University Registrar will reply to the student within 30 business days.

The student has one calendar year from the date that the data becomes a fact of record to initiate a challenge. If a challenge is successful and affects the student’s GPA, honors status or similar rubric, the historical record will be altered accordingly.

Application of this policy is not intended to abridge, supplant, or supersede other deadlines. The University reserves the right to correct or amend an academic record at any time that an error may be detected. In each case, the student will be given written notice of the change.

Change of Name or Address

Changes of name must be filed in the Office of the University Registrar. Address and/or telephone number changes may be processed through the Office of the University Registrar or through Student Academic Information Link (SAIL).

Student Records Policy

The University accumulates data and keeps records to enable staff and faculty to plan educational opportunities to meet the needs of individual students, to better understand students, to counsel them more effectively, and to assist them in placement in graduate education or employment after graduation.

The University maintains student records in several locations, including the Office of the University Registrar, Office of Student Financial Assistance, Business Office, offices of academic deans and faculty, Office of Student Engagement and Success, College of Graduate Studies, Office of Communications and Public Affairs, Career Services, University Health Center, University Counseling Center, Disability Services, and Alumni Office. Provisions are made in these offices for students to review and challenge the accuracy of records when appropriate and upon request.

The University complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and with the Texas Public Information Act. FERPA is a federal law intended to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the rights of students to inspect and review their education records and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading information through informal or formal hearings. Information in student records may be provided to parents without the written consent of the student if the eligible student is a financial dependent of his or her parents as defined under Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. Such requests should be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar.

Students have the right to inspect and review their education records, except for the following:

  1. Financial records of the student’s parents.
  2. Confidential records and statements of recommendation, which were placed in the education records prior to January 1975.
  3. Confidential records and statements of recommendation, which were placed in the student’s education records on or after January 1, 1975, if the student has waived the right to review the letters or statements.

Education records, as defined by FERPA, do not include the following: a personal record of a University faculty or staff member that is in the sole possession of the individual who made it and that has never been revealed to any other person except the maker’s temporary substitute; certain employment records; student health records; student records of personal counseling (records protected under other laws and regulations); and records maintained by a University law enforcement unit that were created by that unit for the purpose of law enforcement. (However, the University may release to an alleged victim of a crime of violence the results of a University disciplinary proceeding concerning the alleged perpetrator of the crime.)

The University maintains two types of student education records: directory information and other student records. Directory information is considered public information and will be released by the University upon request, in accordance with existing law. This public information includes: name; student ID, permanent address; permanent telephone number; University email address; field of study; enrollment status (full-time, part-time, undergraduate, graduate, etc.); classification (fr., so., jr., sr.); dates of attendance; degrees, certificates, and other awards received (if any); the type of degree received; date of graduation; name of most recent previous institution attended; and similar information. A student who does not wish this public information to be released must complete the appropriate form and submit it to the Office of the University Registrar.

With the exception of directory information, the University will not permit the release of personally identifiable information in education records without the prior written consent of the student, except as follows:

  1. To appropriate University personnel who need access to educational records to perform their legitimate educational duties.
  2. To officials of other schools in which the student seeks to enroll, provided the student is notified of what is being released and is given a copy if desired.
  3. To federal, state, or local officials authorized by law.
  4. In connection with a student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid.
  5. To organizations conducting educational studies, provided that these organizations do not release personally identifiable data.
  6. To accrediting organizations.
  7. To the parents who certify that a student is carried as a dependent for federal income tax purposes.
  8. To appropriate persons, in an emergency, if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons.
  9. To individuals requiring such information by means of a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena, provided a reasonable effort is made to notify the student in advance of compliance.

The University does not maintain records of membership in organizations or of political, racial, or religious affiliations.

The acquisition and dissemination of information for records is based on a respect and concern for the privacy and protection of the individual student. However, the obligation of confidentiality may lapse when the common welfare of the community or the welfare of the individual demands revelation such as in the case of suicidal preoccupations, expressed homicidal thoughts or actions, commission of a felony, or similar circumstances. Evaluation and interpretation of a student’s records shall be done only by a professional and qualified staff person.

Certificate Guidelines

For a certificate to be displayed on Texas A&M University Corpus Christi transcript, a certificate must be at least 15 credits, or a U.S. Department of Education (DOE) approved certificate.

If not, DOE approved or 15 credits, the college/school of the department may print their own certificate of completion and notify the student of the department’s recognition of completion. If a student later wants a copy of that certificate given by college/school of the department, they will not be provided one by the University Registrar. For those not DOE approved or 15 credits, the University will not state completion on the transcript or print the certificate.

Office of the University Registrar does not require students to apply for graduation when they are to be awarded a certificate only. Following the deadline given by the University Registrar each semester, each academic unit dean/director is responsible for notifying the University Registrar; certifying the student has met all the specific academic unit and programmatic requirements for the approved certificate.

Policies Subject to Change

Although every effort has been made to provide complete and accurate information in this catalog, changes may occur at any time, without notice, in academic policies and regulations.