The Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) prepares graduates for a variety of career opportunities in the health care field by providing the management skills necessary for success. By designing a degree plan using electives in such areas as computer science, geographic information systems, mathematics, business administration, accounting, international business, and information systems, the student may pursue specific areas of interest. Students can also use electives to design a degree plan that will satisfy entrance requirements for admission to professional schools such as medicine, dentistry, physical therapy, public health, law, and business.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of the health care delivery system from a historical, comparative, economic, cultural, and ethical perspective.
- Employ a variety of business and management skills and techniques including marketing, financial management, law, and information management to effectively and efficiently advance the goals of the organization.
- Demonstrate creativity in defining, negotiating, and solving problems.
- Communicate and educate, using the most current information and communication technology.
Program Requirements for Health Sciences
All of the following requirements MUST be completed and turned into the appropriate personnel located in IH 317 BEFORE the practicum is begun. Students who do not have the following completed will not be able to participate in HLSC 4680 .
Joint Commission, the health care institutional accrediting body, requires care’ giving institutions to follow specific guidelines for staff and students including but not limited to
- 2008/2009 Standard: IC.1.10 1. An organization wide IC program is implemented.
- 2008 Standard IC. 1.10 The risk of development of a health care-associated infection is minimized through an organization wide infection control program.
- 2005 Standard HR.1.20 for staff, students, and volunteers who work in the same capacity as staff who provide care, treatment, and services, at EP 5 states criminal background checks are verified when required by law and regulation and organization policy (http://www.jointcommission.org/).
The Texas Department of State Health Services has specific immunization requirements for students involved with direct patient contact and are stated in the Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 97, Subchapter B, Rule 97.64, include the following: (for additional information, please see the Texas Administrative Code, Title 25, Part 1, Chapter 97, Subchapter B, which is accessible at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/tac/index.shtml.
Direct patient care is defined by DSHS, for purposes of this rule, as students whose course work involves contact with patients in a manner that can result in direct contact with blood, blood-contaminated body fluids, or other bodily fluids from the patient. This definition is available at http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/immunize/docs/school/hepB_Policy.pdf
HLSC student practicum experiences are to assist the student in meeting program goals as identified above. Direct patient care that would involve contact with patient body fluids is neither warranted nor appropriate.
To meet the organizational requirements and facilitate student progress toward goal attainment through practica experiences in a health care system, the following are required prior to beginning the practica experience:
- DRIVERS LICENSE
- Date Verification (No Numbers please)
- HEALTH INFORMATION
- Date of Last PPD (Within The Past Year)
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Confirmation Date
- Declined Date of Hepatitis B
- MMR Immunizations
- Varicella Titer Or Positive History Date
- City Wide Orientation Completion Date AND/OR Hospital Orientation Date
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
- Social Security Number Date Verification (No SSN’s to be released)
- Criminal Search Date: Up to 7 years, or Up to 5 searches
- Date of HHS/OIG/GSA List of Excluded Individuals
- Date of Texas HHS List of Excluded Individuals
- Date of Violation Sexual Offender & Predator Registry
Verification of completion of the above must be presented by the student to the personnel in IH 317 prior to beginning HLSC 4680 - Practicum .