Mathematics, BS and Mathematics, MS
The university allows the opportunity for high-achieving students to count a select number of graduate credits toward their undergraduate degree and thereby obtain a graduate degree at an accelerated pace. Students interested in the Fast Track in Mathematics must meet the following application criteria:
- Currently seeking a BS in Mathematics at A&M-Corpus Christi.
- Minimum of a 3.25 GPA (no grades below C in math classes) in the last 60 SCH at the time of Fast Track application.
- Classified as a Senior with successful completion of at least 90 SCH, including MATH 4301 and MATH 4306.
Students accepted into the Fast Track program will be given permission to enroll in up to six hours of prescribed graduate courses during their last semester of undergraduate studies. The hours for these graduate courses will “double-count” toward both the undergraduate and graduate programs. The BS and MS degrees will be awarded sequentially (i.e., upon completion of each degree) and not simultaneously. Students will be allowed to continue enrollment in the graduate program upon successful completion of the undergraduate degree.
Fast Track students will be under their graduate program’s catalog requirements in the semester after they finish their bachelor’s degree and become reclassified as graduate students.
Applicants must provide the following at the time of application:
- A completed application form. Application fees are waived for Fast Track applicants.
- Official transcripts of all college and university coursework.
- An essay, 300-500 words in length, should discuss the applicant’s educational and professional goals, pertinent work and undergraduate experience, and other factors relating to the chosen option for graduate study.
- One or more letters of recommendation specifically addressing an applicant’s ability to do graduate level study of mathematics may be submitted to strengthen an application. The letters should be submitted directly to the Department at the time of application.
- A note from a faculty member willing to serve as their graduate advisor. Applicants will not be admitted to the program without a graduate advisor
No criterion is weighted more heavily than any other criterion. Applications received or completed after the deadline for admission during one semester may be considered for admission in the following semester at the applicant’s request. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email.
Applicants are expected to enter the program with adequate academic preparation. If the graduate committee determines that an applicant’s preparation is deficient, the individual will be required to complete course work to remedy these deficiencies. Such course work will be regarded as leveling work, and will not count as credit towards the total required for completion of the MS degree in mathematics.
Fast Track Curriculum in the Senior Year
BS, Mathematics students accepted in the Fast Track will substitute six semester credit hours their senior year and will take the following courses instead:
- A graduate-level core course (choose from MATH 5333, MATH 5336, MATH 5339, OR MATH 5351) to substitute for an undergraduate MATH elective.
- MATH 5337 (to substitute for MATH 4315)
- MATH 5343 (to substitute for MATH 4342)
See the Graduate Catalog for a complete description of the degree requirements for the MS in Mathematics.