Environmental Science, BS and Environmental Science, MS
The university allows the opportunity for high-achieving students to count a select number of graduate credits toward their undergraduate degree and thereby obtain a graduate degree at an accelerated pace. Students interested in the Fast Track in Environmental Science must meet the following application criteria:
- Currently seeking a BS in Environmental Science at A&M-Corpus Christi.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 SCH (and a 3.0 GPA in all science and math courses) at the time of Fast Track application.
- Classified as a Senior with successful completion of at least 90 SCH, including BIOL 1406, CHEM 1411, CHEM 1412, ESCI 1401, ESCI 3202, GEOL 1403, MATH 1442 or MATH 2413, and PHYS 1401 or PHYS 2425.
Students accepted into the Fast Track program will be given permission to enroll in up to six hours of prescribed graduate courses during their last semester of undergraduate studies. The hours for these graduate courses will “double-count” toward both the undergraduate and graduate programs. The BS and MS degrees will be awarded sequentially (i.e., upon completion of each degree) and not simultaneously. Students will be allowed to continue enrollment in the graduate program upon successful completion of the undergraduate degree.
Fast Track students will be under their graduate program’s catalog requirements in the semester after they finish their bachelor’s degree and become reclassified as graduate students.
Applicants must provide the following at the time of application:
- A completed application form. Application fees are waived for Fast Track applicants.
- Official transcripts of all college and university coursework.
- An essay of at least 300 words describing their educational and career interests, goals, and challenges.
- Three letters of evaluation from persons knowledgeable about their potential for success in graduate studies.
- Identify a faculty member willing to serve as their graduate advisor. Applicants will not be admitted to the program without a graduate advisor.
- Official GRE scores by the time the student is reclassified to MS.
No criterion is weighted more heavily than any other criterion. Applications received or completed after the deadline for admission during one semester may be considered for admission in the following semester at the applicant’s request. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email.
Students accepted to the degree program with insufficient background in science, computer science, mathematics, or communication skills will be required to take undergraduate or graduate prerequisite courses prescribed by their advisory committees. These courses may or may not apply towards the total required for the master’s degree.
Fast Track Curriculum in the Senior Year
BS, Environmental Science students accepted in the Fast Track will have up to six hours of undergraduate elective credit replaced with six hours of graduate credit during the final semester of the senior year. A Fast Track student, in consultation with the faculty adviser, will be able to substitute six hours of undergraduate courses from BIOL, CHEM, COSC, ESCI GEOL, GISC, MATH, PHYS, or other disciplines as approved.
In place of the six hours of undergraduate courses, the student will take the following graduate courses instead:
- ESCI 5302 OR ESCI 5360 OR BLAW 5330
- An approved graduate elective.
See the Graduate Catalog for a complete description of the degree requirements for the MS in Environmental Science.