Jun 23, 2018
The mission of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences is to educate the health care providers of today and leaders of tomorrow through the provision of excellent educational programs in the professions of nursing and the health sciences. The College identifies, attracts, and graduates students of high potential, especially those from groups who have been historically underrepresented in Texas health care. This mission is enhanced through faculty contributions to community service, leadership, practice, and research. These responsibilities are fostered within an interdisciplinary college by promoting a sense of community and caring, through a system of shared governance.
College of Nursing and Health Sciences Goals
The goals of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences assist the College in implementing the University and College missions.
- To develop within the student the knowledge and skills necessary for beginning professional and advanced nursing practice, cultivating basic and specialized abilities needed to successfully pursue a career, and
- To promote the concept of nursing as caring and facilitate attainment of a care delivery system sensitive to multicultural communities and their health values, and
- To offer individuals the opportunity to increase the breadth and depth of the theoretical base for nursing practice, enhance and expand competence, prepare for role specialization and contribute to the discovery of new nursing knowledge, and
- To provide an educational environment of respect within which students may evolve as broadly educated, responsible and accountable professionals dedicated to the principles of lifelong learning, and
- To build a foundation for doctoral education, and
- To serve the community as nursing experts, leaders and consultants in professional organizations, health promoters, providers of health care policy information and advocates of ethical distribution and usage of resources.
The College of Nursing and Health Sciences offers course work leading to the Master of Science in Nursing degree. Additionally, the college offers graduate courses in Health Care Administration. All of the graduate nursing courses and several of the health care administration courses are delivered through online technology only. Contact the Graduate Nursing Department Chair to confirm course delivery format.
Master of Science